Drawing by Zena Cardman

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Arizona, How Could You?

Eight days ago on Just Call Me Juice, I responded to an article that Marco had posted about his picks for the rest of the MLB season. I said I thought the Braves would make the playoffs just because their schedule from then out was much lighter than that of the LA's and San Diego's. Then I said I wasn't going to bother tallying up Arizona's because I didn't think they had a chance.

Well, now Arizona is in first place in the NL West. Thanks guys. Equally embarrassing, Atlanta is 3.5 games out in the East and 1.5 in the wild card race. The Braves went on an awful slide after my prediction of them getting the wild card. I think the additions of Teixeira and Dotel were great, but may have been a bit late. So, thanks to Arizona, I look like an idiot. Bob Wickman is responsible for a little bit of that as well.

Also, I recently tried to search on Ebay for a Braves jersey that screamed, "I am a true lifelong fan of the Atlanta Braves." I had my sights set on Mark Lemke. Lemke was a favorite of mine as a kid, I always put my vote in for him on the All-Star ballot even though there were guys like Craig Biggio who were better second basemen. Well, a Lemke jersey runs at about $70 on Ebay, which is a bit more than I want to pay. I thought maybe if I found a Jeff Blauser or Steve Avery it might be cheaper, but no. I am really not too thrilled with having to pay $70 for the jersey like that.

No comments: