Drawing by Zena Cardman

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hymns for a Dark Horse

I've done my part in supporting local music today.

I went to Schoolkids Records today and got a real copy of Bowerbirds' Hymns for a Dark Horse, which will go onto be known as the best debut album of 2007. I would go further into this, but John Darnielle has a bit more clout than I do, and he has said all there is to be said about this album here at Last Plane to Jakarta. I opened the LP-style folding jacket up, and the sleeve insert that has all the lyrics and 'thank you' notes is hand numbered. You can see the little smudge. I like that. You can tell this album was a labor of love, being the first release for Burly Time Records, and I love the fact that this album is number 1207 in a first pressing of 1600. So, go buy this before it becomes a collector's item.

I also picked up tickets to two shows, The National on September 7th and Magnolia Electric and the Watson Twins on September 25th. I'm going to stand in front and challenge Jason Molina to a staring contest. He might have ridden with the ghost, but if old Mr. Songs: Ohia thinks he's a match for Mattpoin, he's in for a world of pain.

No comments: