Drawing by Zena Cardman

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Bow to the Google Gods!

Really, we should all be worshiping at the feet of the Google people. Even if they had created that wonderful search engine and called it a day, we would still be indebted to them. But then they gave us Gmail, Google Talk, iGoogle, and Google Reader, among a slew of other tools to make our lives easier. I just recently got to know the last two programs, and dear God are they wonderful!

Other news: I've been doing some heavy listening lately, which is not the same as listening to Slayer. Elliott's Song in the Air was on all day yesterday, and Eno's Ambient 1: Music for Airports has been listened to straight through at least once a day for the past week. I've been catching up with the 1990's by way of Built to Spill and Braid as well. More important than all of that though is new music: the Band of Horses album Cease to Begin that comes out in October is not as bad as everyone would lead you to believe. Hopefully I'll get around to writing a review soon. It doesn't match the strength of their debut album, but it isn't a clunker either. However, Kanye West's Graduation is just as good as everyone says it is. "Stronger," the song that samples the Daft Punk track, is pretty much all I've listened to today.

And one other thing: I'm reading a lot of academic writing about poetry right now. I read a good blurb about syllabics this morning that helped answer my main question of "Why write in syllabics?" and I'm also making an attempt to get through Rosenthal's The Modern Poetic Sequence. I have a long line count sequence poem due at the end of the semester and I need some help in wrapping my head around what makes a good one. Reading The Dream Songs is on my 'to-do' list as well for that assignment.

Andrew Bird is tonight. I heard great things from my friend Jamie after he saw AB in Asheville last night. Can't wait.

No comments: