Drawing by Zena Cardman

Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Internets. You Broke Them.

Having the your Internet connection crash is something that every college student should be used to. It usually happens right when you are about to send in that final draft to your professor before exams. However, one rarely finds out the reason behind the crash, and it is rarely amusing.

I wasn't on the 'net for a while today, and it was a good thing I didn't need to be, because apparently all of North campus here at UNC was sent back to the technological Stone Age. The reason? Because someone might have had the best bad idea I've heard of in a while. Someone I am not acquainted with thought, "Hey, I wonder, what would happen if I took an Ethernet cable and connected one of my dorm room's Ethernet connection points to the other one on the opposite wall?" That type of creativity and curiosity is what it takes to be a Carolina student. That lack of common sense is just what it means to be 20 years old. I've had my fare share of those moments. I welcome a new brother into the fold with this Internet fun. I've inserted below a drawing of what I think the scene looked like upon connection. Obviously, visual art isn't exactly my forte.


Now I'm going to go see the Mountain Goats in Carrboro. Going to be a great night.

No comments: